Kettering Station Platform Extensions
- Project value:
- Project Commenced:
- May 2019
- Project completed:
- October 2020
- Amey Rail
About the project
Enable Infrastructure (formerly BCM Construction) were contracted by Amey Rail to extend the platform lengths at Kettering Station to serve new 240m trains following the introduction of a new timetable. The works were part of a scheme to install 25kV overhead line equipment (OLE) on the line from Bedford to Corby, which involved laying an additional track to create greater capacity on the section from Bedford to Kettering. This scheme was itself part of the London to Corby electrification and capacity upgrade project.
“The Enable Infrastructure teams completed the Kettering platform extensions and renovations as part of the Network Rail Midland Mainline Electrification Scheme to the highest of standards, whilst abiding by the time limitations for the projects. This multidisciplinary job saw clear commitment to work with and respect stakeholders particularly AMEY, Network Rail, neighbours and other companies working alongside Enable Infrastructure. This positive and proactive approach taken by Enable Infrastructure is the reason why these works were such a success.”
Paul Kerrigan, Project Manager (Amey)
The project involved the extension of four platforms, with Enable Infrastructure responsible for the signed-off temporary works design and for installation. We were also responsible for providing all labour, plant, materials, equipment and machinery.
- Most of the works had to be completed under planned possession access. Careful planning of the access periods therefore required, while we also had to ensure we provided the skilled and competent resource necessary.
- Need to ensure provision of skilled and competent resource, with particular resource challenges in weeks 36 and 39 of 2019, when over 380 people were needed at the same time to work on various Enable Infrastructure projects.
- We used our extensive possession planning experience and our ISO9001-certified processes to liaise closely with the client’s team during planning. Specifically, we integrated possession planning using our highly acclaimed 10-week look-ahead process, which allows us to forecast expected resource requirements.
- By making full use of the process, we were able to allocate over 55 people to work on the Kettering platform extensions in weeks 36 and 39.
- Enabling works for all platforms including:
- Ground radar, trial holes & soil sampling
- Site clearance of fencing, gates, vegetation, old foundations, platform furniture
- Removals of existing platform ramps and walls
- Preparation of area for platform extension
- Platform front wall foundations
- Installation of pre-cast platform units
- Rear wall foundations and blockwork for platform extension
- Installation of copers, tactile & oversail blocks
- Platform 2/3: mid-wall installation
- Platform 1: walls around open sections
- Installation of platform services, drainage, ducting, SPT and ACO drainage, and fill
- Install of platform surfacing & overhead line equipment (OLE) foundations
- Platform fencing, shelters & furniture
- Storm drainage Installation
- Compliance with Grade II Listed Building Consents
Find out how we can help you
If we can help you in any way, please do get in touch. In order that we can assist you efficiently, please click on the link below. Alternatively, you can call us on 020 7551 0998.Get in Touch