- Project value:
- Project Commenced:
- June 2019
- Project completed:
- May 2021
- Network Rail
About the project
Enable Infrastructure (formerly BCM Construction) were appointed Principal Contractor for the design and construction of the full civil engineering scope of works for the Feltham Re-signalling Programme Phase 2 and residual Phase 1. The multidisciplinary work involved constructing over 350 separate civils assets to support the introduction of a major new signalling system in South-West London bringing significant benefits to passengers on a key commuter route.
“The Enable Infrastructure team and NR teams have built a close working relationship. The works have been of a high standard and quality. Enable Infrastructure have been positive and proactive with respect to changes, [showing] clear commitment to work with, and respect, stakeholders, particularly South Western Railway, neighbours and other companies working alongside them.”
Steve Deeprose, Network Rail Project Manager
The signalling in the Feltham area dates from 1974. Re-signalling had already been deferred and, with 500 life-expired assets, further deferment was not an option. In fact, with this route into the capital seeing a dramatic increase in use – the number of annual journeys rose over ten years from 0.7 million to 1.2 million – it was high time the signalling was replaced.
The project awarded to Enable Infrastructure covered a total of more than 60 miles of track and involved civil works at crossings and depots, as well as station and trackside locations.
- The sheer geographic spread of the works
- The very large number quantity of assets required
- Limited access available to the railway
- Logistical demands in terms of programme, management and resource: as many as ten teams were deployed every week at locations from Frimley to Richmond.
- We deployed a multi-disciplinary workforce, which had rail, civil and structural installation expertise.
- Our in-house project management team kept a tight hold on the programme and collaborated effectively with Network Rail.
- Specifically, drawing on our previous experience of delivering re-signalling schemes under time pressure, Enable Infrastructure broke the project down into asset sets, enabling us to concentrate on delivering manageable scopes of work.
- Our deep experience of the possession planning process enabled us to develop an efficient track access strategy, with minimal disruption to the operational railway and travelling public.
- Civils design for under-road crossings (URXs), piled foundations, concrete foundations, signal posts & gantries, cable route, platform duct route
- 38km cable route, new and renovated
- 2km platform duct route
- 25 under-track crossings & under-road crossings
- 7km ballast board retaining walls
- 95 signal foundations (in-situ, piled and pre-cast)
- 101 erecting signal structures
- 230 laydown areas and walkways
- 12 signalling power point bases and compounds
- 71 location case bases.
Find out how we can help you
If we can help you in any way, please do get in touch. In order that we can assist you efficiently, please click on the link below. Alternatively, you can call us on 020 7551 0998.Get in Touch